Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Watch: the Fabulous and the Functional (Week 3)

I love watches. Classic elegant, neon green rubber, suave leather, blingy gold, snap-on pink  – so many options, it's just so exciting. As a fashion-forward child, I always wanted a watch (because I would go through them pretty quickly; don't ask how). Unfortunately, I never needed a watch. No one really does. In elementary school, I couldn't tell time anyway. Junior high and high school were dominated by bells telling people when to leave and come, and every classroom and hall way had at least one clock. Besides, around the time of high school, everyone had cell phones for the time. Watches were basically obsolete, functionally; they became merely a fashion accessory.

Ever since I got a cell phone, I stopped wearing my watch. Occasionally I'd wear one if I had an important test in an unfamiliar building or if I wanted to look more professional for a presentation. But most of the time, there was no need for it.

In London, there is a need for knowing the time all the time. I've worn my watch almost every day since I got here. And I'm not the only one. Places are pretty stingy with clocks, and phones have gotten so big they have to go in a purse or large pocket. Because it is so important to have the time right then, it is very difficult to dive into a purse, conduct a search for a phone, and emerge triumphant. It is much easy to wear a watch.

Before, I thought I was fairly monochronic with my time. I don't like to be late, and I follow schedules pretty well. In fact, it drives me nearly bonkers when someone flakes on me or fails to have a concrete plan. But I am nothing compared to the giant system of London. It runs on schedules and precise planning. London is Time, a giant clock commanding everyone's life.

A main cause of London's monochronic personality is the public transport. Usually, I'm not too bothered by waiting for the Tube or a bus because there is nowhere I have to be at a particular time. However, my Wednesday trips to Southampton are proving to be intensely involved. I have to be at Clapham Junction at a particular time to catch the train. To get to Clapham Junction, I have to switch from the District line to the Overground. Each change has to be calculated so I will have enough time to catch the right train. If I'm late, I miss the train, and I have to wait and wait forever until there is another one. If I'm early, I have to wait some more.

Because trains are supreme, people wait. Because everyone needs to be somewhere at a specific time, people wait. Because being late is frown on, people wait. The monochronic atmosphere in London forces a Molbius strip: monochronic system gives value to time which the inhabitants waste waiting for the monochronic system. Like time, this dilemma will not end.



No comments:

Post a Comment