Monday, April 9, 2012

Cultural Immersion (LJ 4/9)

As this is my last learning journal for the semester, I want this to be a fun one to write. One of my concerns (from a bit of list) about my field study is spending too much time chained to my computer. Or even being inside too much. It's England! I need to immerse myself in the culture--otherwise there is no point in my going. In order to get myself out of the stat lab and away from my computer, the following is a list of things I need to do to get myself into the culture. (Having a list will motivate me a little more to get out and about.)
  1. British Museum. I still have not seen the Lindow bog man. Poor Pete was on loan last time I was in London, so I was unable to meet him. And three years later, I am still disappointed. 
  2. National Gallery. I'm a bit of an art history fanatic.
  3. St. Martin in the Fields. Free piano recitals, but not of third graders who never practice. 
  4. Borough Market. Food. Enough said.
  5. Queen's way. Kebabs, waffles, and a high concentration of cigarette smoke--c'est la vie!
  6. Gardens
  7. Science Museum. I'm a mathematician, k? 
  8. Bridge Walk. This was my favorite thing to do during my study abroad. There would be a group of us who would walk along the Thames from the Center to the Tower Bridge at night. 
  9. Tube at rush hour. I'll just make sure I leave valuables at home that day.
  10. White Cliffs of Dover
  11. Theatre, anyone?
  12. Pub crawl, just without the alcohol. 
  13. Biking through London.
  14. V & A. I only spent probably 45 minutes here last time. For shame.
  15. Area around the V&A. I never managed to explore that area of town.
This is just a sample of activities to do to get involved in London's culture. There will be need to be another similar list for Southampton, but one thing at a time, love.

1 comment:

  1. Yes to all of the above. I'm coming with you!! I only spent about an hour in the British Museum, so I saw about .01% of it, and not even the mummies. (I'm obsessed with mummies)

    Also, I'm going to add the Jack the Ripper tour, just to satisfy my morbidity. It's probably going to be creepy, so I'm making you come with me.

    ReplyDelete