Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Doctors in the House (LJ 4/4)

So, I apparently have an obsession with British doctors. First there was Doctor Who, and now there is Doc Martin. My dad recommended that I watch Doc Martin when I was on my hiatus from Doctor Who. Doc Martin is about a high-powered, brillant London surgeon who inconveniently develops a fear of blood at the height of his career. Forced to step down, Dr. Martin Ellingham becomes a GP in a small village in Cornwall. In the series, Doc Martin and the villagers are consistently at odds with each other as they are forced to interact with each other.

Don't worry; there is a point to this learning journal. In all of the episodes I have watched, there have been perfect vignettes illustrating several phenomena noticed by Kate Fox in Watching the English. For example, when Martin is first setting up his surgery, all of his "patients" come by just to talk about the weather, which of course infuriates Martin who is all about efficiency, not chitchat. The "Importance of Not Being Earnest" is clearly shown in the humor of the show.

It has been helpful to actually see the "English" in their natural habitat rather than just reading about it. Not only is it easier to see the bits of culture come to light, but also I can notice the response from all the participants involved in the situations so I can learn what to do and what not to do. It gives me something more concrete to emulate. And what words are insults and should not be repeated.

No comments:

Post a Comment