Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Charming the Gatekeeper (LJ 3/14)

According to Neuman in "Choosing a Site and Gaining Access," it is "ethically and politically astute to call on gatekeepers." For a field study, there are several gatekeepers to call on and charm my way into their hearts. Or at least, their approval of me. First off, there is the gatekeeper of where I will be living. As I do not have any information on that yet, I do not know which of my "charms" I will need to sharpen for that situation. But for the next gatekeeper, he who holds the key to the design study group, I have more concrete data to work with.  I have read his papers and skimmed over his CV. While hardly the end-all to understanding "the inner feelings of others," this helps me gain academic rapport which in turn will help me build social rapport. In order to smoothly enter into the dynamics of the design study research group, I need to charm over the head of the group so he can have something good to say about me when introducing me to others.

To Do: email Dr. Woods. I have to start building rapport and trust because I personally cannot fake "concern for and interest in others...and sharing feelings." So to jump-start my rapport-building, I need to start before I enter the field. Also, I need to practice my "social skills and personal charm." Usually, it takes me months to feel comfortable and trusting around others. I won't have months; I'll have mere weeks. To speed up my usual process of building rapport, there are a few things I can do now to practice. First, I suppose I could try to look less intimidating. Unfortunately, I am told I need to stop glaring or "being cold" all the time. I don't mean to,especially with the glaring. (I had huge glasses and a tiny nose as a child so I had to scrunch my face to keep my glasses on. I guess I never stopped.) So, I apparently need to appear more open (good grief, does that mean I'll have to smile?). Second, I need to practice drumming up a conversation with someone. Time to learn how to chit-chat. And finally, I need to diligent in researching, studying, completing homework, etc. so I do not come across as a good-for-nothing, lazy, entitled American slacker. I can definitely  start practicing that now.

No comments:

Post a Comment