Sunday, February 5, 2012

Classifying in Class (LJ 2/6)

Confession: Today in church, I was not exactly paying attention to the testimonies being born. Nor was I completely focused on the lesson for gospel doctrine. Instead, I was observing what people were wearing--and how I classify them if I were English. The idea of having distinct classes mystifies me. I know we have them in the US, but I thought they were based mostly on money. Reading the Dress Code chapter in Watching the English made me conclude that classes are not necessarily defined by income or inherited money. I guess I have not paid enough attention to the class system in the US to be able to understand it in the UK. In any case, I tried to apply the rules according to Kate Fox. As she pointed out, it is much easier to do it on women. Matching shoes, belt, and scripture bag: middle. Short short skirt, not very flattering: lower. But all of my observations were mere speculations as I have absolutely no way of finding out if that particular person is middle, high-middle, low, etc. in the rankings. (I am NOT going to ask, especially in church. It would lead to disharmony in the ward.) 

Does all of it matter, though? Are the English so fixated on classes, regardless of merit? Are there still prigs in England? After reading various portions of Watching the English, it appears as though the class system is alive and kicking even though serfdom has been abolished for a very long time. What purpose does the class system have, besides creating snobbery? Should I reread the dress rules so I can dress the part, whatever that may be? Does the class system affect academia? Will there be places on campus I will not be able to go because I am not high class (or low class, or high-middle, or whatever)? The system seems archaic to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment