Monday, February 20, 2012

Being Sensitive (LJ 2/21)

Though it may be slightly sacrilegious the way I always get my topic for my Monday learning journals from church, but there is such great material. Have you ever noticed the abundance of anthropological observations one can make in sacrament meeting alone? Then throw in Sunday School and Relief Society (I assume Elders' Quorum is similar, but I've never actually been), and you have an entire research field. I cannot count the number of times that I have been grateful that the  National Geographic has not done an anthropological study about Mormons. Can you imagine having an outside anthropologist observing your Sunday School?

Anyway, sacrament meeting was all about the founding fathers because it is Presidents' Day weekend. I did not think anything of it. After all, it was nothing compared to my home ward's Four of July fast and testimony meeting. (Just so you can imagine: small Utahan town, chock full of redneck republicans. And the birthplace of David O. McKay. Very Mormon. Very patriotic.) And my poor roommate from Canada leans over and asks, "Is it normal to talk about the founding fathers in sacrament meeting?" Hmmmm. A little culturally insensitive? Because she is not an American and does not have extensive knowledge about our founding fathers, the topics alienated my roommate from sacrament meeting. And we are supposed to be a world religion.

Unfortunately, this cultural insensitivity did not register with me until someone else pointed it out to me. Frightening when you consider I am supposed to be preparing to be culturally sensitive. With this fact in mind, I decided to implement various aspects from class and common sense to purge me of my cultural insensitivities.

1. Think before I speak. Okay, this may be a generally good idea, not solely for the purpose of cultural sensitivity. But I need to make sure words coming out of my mouth will not betray unknown ignorance or bullheadedness. Did my bishopric even consider not everyone understands US history?

2. Be observant both here and in England. What defines US culture? English culture? Academic culture? For example, English statisticians use odds. We use probabilities. When I give a presentation in England, I need to make sure to use odds so I do not give myself away (because obviously my accent won't). And who knows what other differences there will be. Here, professors leave to go home at a variety of times. Is it more defined in Southampton? Professors joke with students. Is that taboo or accepted in England. So for now I need to understand what defines the BYU statistics department culture for a stronger comparison.

3. Realize and then ignore predetermined ideas. Though I have not noticed yet, I may have some strong prejudices. I don't think the US is the most amazing country in the world, but there may be something else blisteringly obvious. Maybe like I think the class system in England is ridiculous.  Or that Utah is the best place in the world. Little ideas like those. Once recognized, I'll be able to observe the actuality of the ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment