Monday, February 13, 2012

Source (2/15)

Shteynberg, Garriy. "A Silent Emergence of Culture: The Social Tuning Effect." Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 99.4 (2010): 683-689. Electronic.


According to Shteynberg, there are at least 164 definitions of culture, but this paper focuses on the definition that culture is the "human ability to form social groups in which shared understandings of what is true, good, and real are constituted." He claims that people adapt their attitudes to be more similar with a particular social group. In fact, if a stimuli is perceived as common to the group, then members' own opinions "gravitate" towards the perceived attitude of the group.


Studying in a different culture, will I be excluded from "cultivat[ing] and maintain[ing] unique patterns of knowledge"? Or will I essentially turn my back on my current culture and align my "personal attitudes" with my academic group? It will be interesting to note how my opinions and attitudes merge with a new culture as I am studying in Southampton.

No comments:

Post a Comment