Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My Project, Take 2 (LJ 2/22)

I was just thinking how wonderful it is when you have no homework due the next day when I remembered I still have a non-stat class. And I have something due. Today. Probably a few hours ago. Oops.

As I was writing my Background, Significance, and Literature Review, I realized some unfortunate issues with my project. To begin with, I had a very, very rough time writing my draft. Though that may in part have been due to the fact I had just finished a grueling test, my paper should have gone more smoothly. Of course, I did not realize as I was writing that I was having issues with my project, not necessarily the writing. After the fact, I am now going to try to absolve my sins in my project.

I realized I have not yet clearly defined either part of my project, rendering the "specific information" very difficult to write. For the communication portion, I have not focused on what I want as the end goal nor on what I am defining as "academic communication". So: as a result of my project, I want to have strengthened the communications between Dr. Woods and BYU. In addition, I want to observe how professor-student communications differ in England as opposed to England. With those observed differences, I want to create a good connection between myself and Dr. Woods, an academic contact that I can continue to utilize in later years. As for the definition of "academic communication," I mean email contact, co-authored papers, weekly meetings, chance encounter conversations, clarifying questions, and presentations. There is probably more I will want to study, but the basic idea is "academic communication" is anything used to develop and sustain an academic relationship.

If possible, my statistics part of my project is even more vague. This is due in part to the fact that my actual project has not been decided. I only know the topic--design. But this in itself can mean anything from experimental design to computer simulations, practical to theoretical. Because I do not yet know what direction I will be pursuing, I cannot create a specific argument as to why I will be contributing to an "academic dialogue" nor can I give substantial "topic-specific information." As much as I would want to clarify my statistics project right now, I can't. At least not at the moment. I need to meet with Dr. Reese (my mentor) to iron out some details, and he may not even know what Dr. Woods wants to work on yet. I am kind of like the work force for part of this project. I just do whatever my professors tell me.

The most unfortunate part of my project is I am still trying to strengthen my argument that I need to do this project in England. Obviously I will have to if I am to work with Dr. Woods, but showing an "understanding of the local context" is a bit difficult. Honestly, I have not determined any "potential sensitivities specific to the culture and topic that may affect [my] field study." Maybe Dr. Woods will be unimpressed with my statistical background and send me back in disgrace? Maybe no one in Southampton will want to have me as an academic contact. Potentially. The project I will eventually work on may be too complex to solve in a summer, or ever. As it is the summer, I may have a difficult time finding students and professors to collaborate with at the university.

With the above clarifications now in place, I should probably re-write my part b. And I most certainly need to talk to Dr. Reese.

No comments:

Post a Comment