Wednesday, January 25, 2012

How's that weather we're having? (LJ 1/25)

I should probably have this learning journal focus on statistics and experimental design--but I have already ODed on statistics today (actually, probably for the week). So instead of boring myself with an analysis on measurement error (which I have already done) or analysis of design (which I don't , I will try to enliven this post with CULTURE. Not my own, mind, but that of the English.

I think Watching the English is a fantastic book. Not only did I enjoy the assigned reading, I read ahead (slight gasp would be appreciated). When I did my study abroad in London a few years back, I did not exactly get involved in the culture. Living and travelling with forty other American girls and you tend to stay firmly American. Even when I ventured onto the Tube, I was always with another American or two. And I was too focused on not getting lost, which happens much too often to me, to pay attention to "the natives." In particular, I never paid attention to conversations. As such, skimming the chapter about Conversation Codes at times made me laugh out loud. But it was also helpful. As a small town girl, compounded by the awkwardness of learning to be a statistician, I am unfortunately a little off socially sometimes. Once in a while (every day). So it was relieving to read about how not to make a fool of myself. And it appears as though the English are just as awkward.

While I understand the 'rules' given are not cut and dry, they at least give me an idea to start from.  I am excited to try starting up a conversation with The Weather. I will be particularly observant when I introduce myself to various people in England. Especially as I am focusing part of my project on academic communication, it will be interesting to see how accurate Kate Fox's rules are when applied to stuffy old academics. Will they toe the line more or less often?

No comments:

Post a Comment