Friday, January 20, 2012

Evolution of the Field Study (LJ 1/20)

     After reading Babbie's section of "Qualitative Field Research", I realized how inadequate my project ideas are. My limited vision extended only to studying statistics in England--most likely in a tiny room shut of from air and people. The only difference between my field study and my current status as a student  statistician was being in a different location. To make my project more appropriately a field study, I need more than just a theoretical study of statistics. Instead, there should be a generation of a theory of a behavior. Yes, the focus of my field study is still beginning my master's project. However, I needed a reevaluation of the reasons why I wanted to complete a field study.
     A primary reason for wanting to complete a field study in England is to establish academic contacts, to open up a communication between me and professors in England. I wanted to obtain a more global outreach for my academic career. So what on Babbie's list of elements of social life is most applicable for me to observe? Because my main purpose is to establish contact and to learn how to best continue the academic conversation after I leave England, I decided to focus on encounters,  groups and cliques, organizations, and roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment