Thursday, January 26, 2012

Source (1/25)

Rice, John A. Mathematical Statistics and Data Analysis. Belmont: Thomson Higher Education, 2007. Print.


This is a textbook on mathematical statistics. That is, this focuses on the math foundation of statistics. Specifically, the Experimental Design section covers the basics for interpretation and design.In the design chapter, Rice builds on the examples from previous sources to define some statistical principles. Because he use them to illustrate the principles, the examples are effective. Also, he literature review is impressive, indicating that Rice did his research well. His sources are credible, and his conclusions are logically sound. The theorems and subsequent proofs are straightforward and well laid out. Each step is justified and documented. As a result, I would say the author’s methods are appropriate, especially for a textbook. This book provided me with an idea of what I will need to understand and be familiar with when I begin researching experimental design. Mainly, this book provided me with the basic vocabulary and mathematical principles needed to understand experimental design. Thus, this reference is very useful for my project. However, my project will be much difference from the basic principles presented here because my project deals with more theoretical, not practical, applications of experimental design.

1 comment:

  1. you know, it would have been so much easier had I saved half the sources on my computer instead of just keeping the paper copy.

    I'll try to remember that in the future.

    ReplyDelete